Monday, September 04, 2006

MTB weekend 1st Sept weekend

2 Sept Manly Dam, track finally re opened after a period of wet weather. it was the warmest day at 26degrees C since winter. We out with some beginner friends E and T, who have never been offroad before. Quote "don't underestimate us" so off we went for the intro.

I never seen suffering as much since my first ride on a MTB haha. Half way through I proceeded to demonstrate what it looked like to go over the handlebars on top of a rock. My Apprentices stunned and in shock. So I demonstrated what to do next. Get up immediately and yell 'lets go" and continued. Further down the track T tried to copy my demonstration with a over the handlebards back splat which I didn't get to see and score. But the grazes on the back told the story. Despite the spills we continued to the end without further incident. But credit due they persisted and finished and took any some technical terrain no complaints.
Guess who will remember to bring along supplies and water next time!!! Was a nice fun ride. BBQ at night to finish.

3rd Sept. Menai Old Illawarra Road

Another fantistic spring day, not getting enough dirt, I met up with Shawn a hard core DH biker I havent riden with before along with his two friends Sean and Alex.
We started at Bardon Ridge oval and pedalled to the back of the Oval and down some single tracks, very well vegetated and constantly getting smacked my shrubs. Finally crossed Illawarra road to the main tracks. These were pretty much narrow singles and very Rocky all the way. Lots of downhill technical sections and lots of rocky climbs. These guys just kept moving at times I thought I wasnt going to keep up.
Finally dropping into some gullies the boys in front kept disappearing into the vegetation. lots of Doreanthes and lush vegetation and a few timber crossings and creeks to ride thru and over. Land of the Dinosaurs. The only incident was a pinch puncture which my tube was split on opposite sides. Oh that hissing sound after I smacked the bike into a gully ditch. A quick tube change and off again.
It was very diffferent to all the rides I have done so far. My heart pounding all the way definately a nice fast paced workout and attempted some difficult uphill climbs over steep rocks I wound not have attempted before.

Thank you guys for the intro to these tracks!!

Definately rate this as the best natural Technical track I have pedalled over so far.

2 comments:

Cheech said...

lazy sod post more!

rickso said...

haha, Im living it not writing about it!!!